This was a slog to get through. It’s good if you really want to learn the history of Apple. Also good if you want to know what a mean person Steve Jobs was. He’s a not a nice person person, and his face is plastered on so many inspirational posters. He should not be a role model.
Moments I remember best:
- When he refused to give stock to employee #12, college friend Daniel Kottke.
- When he abandoned his daughter, and acknowledged paternity only after a lot of pressure. He swore in a court document that he was sterile in order not to provide care.
- When he cheated Wozniak out of a few thousand dollars when they designed a circuit board for Atari.
- When he hardly acknowledged his parents as they dropped him off at Reed, after they sacrificed a great deal so that he could go.
- And being a very mean boss in general.
Apple is mostly a design firm, hardly a company that’s revolutionizing technology. Sure he might be a genius, but there are CEO’s who better deserve our respect. I wish that we’d all be a lot more measured in our praise for this guy.